Friday, March 23, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Honesty's the best policy

Last week's weight: 173.8
This week's weight: 175
Difference: +1.2
Total weight lost since January 2010: 96.8

The scale at work varied drastically from the one at home this week. I was tempted to use the number from home (173.6), but I decided that while the Biggest Loser contest is still going on at the office, I should probably be honest and go with the number on the work scale.

So I gained this week. If I'm being really honest with myself, the scale at work might be more accurate. I barely exercised this week and I didn't track my Weight Watchers points, which meant I went over every day. Between the beer, frozen yogurt, pizza and pasta, I'm not surprised I gained a little. I had a tremendous loss last week, so it's not surprising that I couldn't maintain that level.

This week's weigh-in, however, all but assures that I won't hit the 100-pounds-lost mark by April 1. I'm disappointed, but I'm also going to try not to be too hard on myself. I'm pretty close to wearing a size 12 in everything (and I only buy new clothes when it is something in a 12 that fits).

I've said all along that this is about making a change for the rest of my life. For me, that means eating pizza, pasta, cake ... sometimes. I will never be the type of person who can skip meals or never eat anything "bad." I love to eat and I'm proud that over the course of the past two years I've developed habits that aren't so restrictive. I know I could lose more weight quickly if I cut out sugar, carbs, fat and alcohol. But I like to eat all of those things. I think I will have long-term success because I allow myself to eat those foods ... just in moderation.

And because of that, I will likely continue to lose a little, gain a little, lose a little, gain a little. As long as the long-term chart shows me losing, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment