Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: The more you eat, the more you gain

Last week's weight: 172.2
This week's weight: 173.8
Difference: +1.6
Total weight lost since January 2010: 98

First, let me apologize for being so late with this week's weigh-in post. I did, indeed, weigh in on Friday, but I was having some computer trouble and am just now taking time for a blog post.

As you can see, I gained a little. Not a surprise given what I ate this past week. I'm not upset about the gain really, but I am disappointed in how I handled stressful moments. I was feeling a lot of pressure at work this week and I wasn't sleeping well.

So I got weak.

One day, I stopped at the store and came out with pizza, a small bag of chips and a candy bar. And, yes, I ate them that night. On another day, I left work in the middle of the day just buy junk food ... pretzels, dark chocolate Reese's peanut cups and miniature candy bars. I didn't eat them all, but I sure ate more than my fair share.

I've said this before but losing weight (even maintaining what I've almost lost) takes constant vigilance. I let my guard down for one minute and I'm verging on out of control. It's been more than 2 1/2 years since I started this journey. Shouldn't some of the desire to eat all of the time and to eat foods that aren't good for me be disappearing?

The good news, I guess, is that despite eating dinner out Friday, I didn't go overboard. I didn't make the smartest choices, but I definitely didn't make the worst choices either. And on Saturday, I did extremely well. Everything I ate, including lots of fruits and veggies, was well within my daily Weight Watchers daily points limit.

So far, so good today. But a stressful phone conversation with my grandmother is tempting me. I know that eating is not how I should deal with my emotions. I've tried some deep breathing and I ate some fruit, but I'm still thinking about how good Cheez Doodles would taste right now. Good thing I don't have any of those. And I'm seriously going to try to keep myself from getting in the car and driving to the store.

Another good sign is that I cooked a great dinner last night (stuffed peppers) and I'm making another dish tonight (tomato-basil chicken with pasta salad). That should give me plenty of leftovers for the week. I really need a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment