Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lessons learned from my first 5K

Let me start by saying I went into today's race completely unprepared. When I first signed up, I truly believed I'd train hard and be ready to at least jog most of it. Needless to say, I got distracted and barely exercised the past six months much less train for a 5K. But I had committed to participate with a group of about a dozen other women in a 5K just for women. Backing out would have been much worse than pretty much walking the entire thing. The good news is that I didn't finish last and I'm really happy I did it. Two hours after crossing the finish line, I've also come to realize that I've learned a few things.

1. Despite the fact that I didn't run, I felt exhilaration when I finished. I was exhausted but excited that I'd actually done it. When I started my weight loss journey in January 2010, I could barely walk one block. Today, I walked (and jogged a little) more than 3 miles.
2. I can do better. I completed the race in 53 minutes and 59 seconds. I already feel an itch to prove that I can go faster even if it's just a few minutes.
3. I should have already been pushing myself harder. Today's time was quicker than what I normally walk. Usually, it takes me about 65 minutes to walk 2.6 miles a the park. I should have been trying harder because clearly I'm capable.
4. I want to do another one. Sometimes, the first step is the hardest. Now that I've done one, I want to do more ... if for no other reason than it will force me to exercise more.
5. Drinking beer after the race is NOT a good idea. I feel a little sick now.
6. I should take water with me, especially when the temperature is in the upper 80s. There was only one water station on the course and I really could have used one more.
7. I should plan what I eat before the race better. I thought I did OK today (I had string cheese and a banana about three hours before the race and a granola bar about an hour before.), but I was ravenous afterward. I'm going to research this later.
8. I need better workout clothes. I really don't own the appropriate clothes for walking/running in hot weather.
9. I should wear more sunblock. I applied some, but not nearly as well as I should have. So now I've got a few burned spots.
10. And, finally, the most important thing I've learned (again) is that I have the best friends. Some members of our group were runners and some were walkers. When I couldn't even keep up with the walkers, one friend lagged behind and waited for me. Then she stayed by my side. Then, other friends waited at the finish line to cheer me on even though they'd finished far ahead of me. I feel honored and proud to call these women my friends. They inspire me to want to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment