Sunday, December 15, 2013

Everyone deserves a second chance

If you read my post from this past week about meeting with a fitness coach, you know it didn't go so well. I wasn't feeling good about the session or the woman. But I'd already paid for a one-on-one training session designed to teach me how to do the various exercises correctly and how to modify them to fit my beginner level.

That session was yesterday and I'm feeling so much better about it. I spent about an hour and fitness with the coach, focusing on all the basic strength-training moves. She demonstrated how to do each exercise and she helped me practice good form. We focused on the lower body first, then the upper body.

When I left, she emailed me a two-week plan to do at home over the holidays. She said completing the plan should build up a little strength and get me ready for the pace of her classes.

I'm so glad I gave her a second chance. I really enjoyed yesterday's session and I appreciate that she created a fitness plan to get me through the next couple of weeks on my own. And I'm proud of myself for completing day one today.

The plan has me doing strength-training exercises two days a week and walking three days a week for the next two weeks. Based on today's routine, I can see how this will slowly build more strength in my upper body without causing major muscle aches and pains. Chest and shoulder muscles are a little sore, but nothing I can't handle.

While I liked this coach this time around, I'm still going to check out a program a friend at work goes to. Based on yesterday's session, though, I already feel committed to this woman and her program. 

My goal is to truly be ready to step up my fitness workouts after the holidays. Four years ago, in January 2010, I began this journey with little hope of success. I still remember the feeling I had each week as the number on the scale dropped and my clothes got too big. I've learned a lot and I've had my ups and downs. I see this as my second chance at success.

No comments:

Post a Comment