Saturday, September 22, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Downward spiral

Last week's weight: 170.8
This week's weight: 173.6
Difference: +2.8
Total weight lost since January 2010: 98.2

Saying I had a bad week is an understatement. There wasn't a single day where I didn't make a bad food choice. And my decisions got worse as the week progressed. Even after weighing in yesterday morning, I proceeded to indulge. Just yesterday I ate a cheeseburger, a hot dog, two cookies, chips, pizza and cake. Naturally, the number on the scale this morning was even worse than when I officially weighed in yesterday.

In hindsight, this week's complete disaster has been coming for a few weeks. I can see that now. What really cemented it was an emotional trigger on Tuesday -- I officially signed the paperwork to sell my dad's house. As many of you know, he passed away in May 2011. Dealing with his estate has been an emotional roller coaster ever since.

Once I got headed down the wrong path Tuesday, I decided to simply give in. Fighting my urge to eat everything in sight was just too much. I didn't have it in me. So I told myself I had until the end of the day Friday to eat whatever I wanted and worry about the consequences later. I ate and ate and ate. The overeating not only made me feel guilty but also made me feel bad physically.

I woke up this morning and I knew what I had to do. I walked for an hour on the beach and now I've got a healthy breakfast under way. In addition to the pizza and cake I bought at the grocery store last night, I bought tons of fruits, veggies and whole grains so I'd be prepared for today. I've got a very strict diet planned for the next two days because I know I need to rid my body of all the bad stuff, especially sugar. Following it might be painful at first, but I think I'll be feeling so much better by Monday because of it.

I admit that I went a little nuts this past week. It happens. I'm not going to beat myself up. But I refuse to let that behavior continue. I've worked far too hard to change my habits to give up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment