Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Help! I'm a junk food junkie.

Halloween is a nightmare for overweight people who are addicted to sugar. There's candy everywhere. This year, I have no one to blame but myself because I bought the bad foods. And, for me, it's not just sugar. It's all junk food that causes a problem.

After a great week last week, I fell completely off the wagon this week. And it's really going to show on the scale come Friday morning. It started with a slight splurge Friday night and then there was the Halloween party on Saturday.

I could have recovered from both.

Instead, I ate nearly a whole bag of potato chips on Monday and then I made the mistake of buying a bag of snack-sized candy bars on Tuesday. I don't know how many Kit-Kats, Reese's peanut butter cups, Almond Joys and Hershey's chocolate bars I ate, but it was a lot.

Of course, I also ate two chocolate chip cookies today. When I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work tonight, I had a feeling it wouldn't go well. I had just told myself that I might as well eat whatever I wanted because I'd already blown it this week.

I know that's not the right attitude. I made three laps around Harris Teeter. I looked at the prepackaged mac and cheese and the frozen pizza (twice). I considered a steak or sushi or a pre-made wrap. I even glanced at the carrot cake. At one point, I ended up on the chip aisle. Luckily, I didn't stay there long.

I came close to leaving without buying anything. But then I still wouldn't have anything to eat for dinner. I opted for Weight Watchers frozen spaghetti with meat sauce. (BTW, the WW dinners are buy one, get one free this week so I also bought the thai-style chicken and noodles.)

Even after I paid and was walking to my car, I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision. Driving away, I thought about swinging through the McDonald's drive-thru. But I didn't. I came home and ate my spaghetti.

I keep telling myself that I might have made bad decisions this week, but it's never too late to start over. I ate a lot of stuff I wish I hadn't but I can't change that now. All I can do is try not to make the same mistakes. It sure would be a lot easier if I wasn't addicted to junk food. I can never eat just one chip or one piece of candy. It's always the whole bag (well, almost the whole bag).

And to top it off, I'm feeling completely self-conscious this week. My self-esteem is pretty low and that just makes me want to eat more junk food. It's a vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment