Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Battling the blues

Last week's weight: 171
This week's weight: 170
Difference: -1
Total weight lost since January 2010: 101.8

I was genuinely surprised when I weighed Friday morning. After hitting the 100 pounds lost mark last week, I gave myself a little leeway this week. I didn't go overboard, but I definitely ate/drank more than I should have. Based on what I was seeing on the scale during the week, I thought the best result I could hope for was to stay even. And that would have been fine. I think what helped me was a lot of exercise early in the week and drinking a ton of water. Plus, even as I was splurging, I didn't make the worst choices. For example, I had light beer when I wanted a margarita. I also had a salad for dinner one night when I wanted a cheeseburger, but that's because I was having wine with that dinner.

So the weigh-in went well. And I seem to be heading in the right direction with my weight loss (despite the occasional setback). What's baffling me is why I don't feel better about myself. Of course, there are outside factors affecting my mood. I just turned 39 earlier this month, and getting older just isn't much fun once you get past 21. Also, the one-year anniversary of my dad's death is coming up in a few days, so naturally that's on my mind. As usual, there are changes at work causing me stress. And a few unexpected expenses lately have me dipping into my savings, which never puts me in a very good frame of mind.

I'm hoping the long weekend will help me get refocused. My answer to feeling stressed is usually to get organized. So that's what I'm going to do for the next three days. I think a bit of spring cleaning around the house will help me feel more in control of my life. And it will keep me busy so I don't do things that cost a lot of money. Then, at the end of the week, I'll be visiting friends in Asheville. I'm certain that will be just the pick-me-up I need and I'll be on the path to a happy-go-lucky summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment