Saturday, November 24, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Am I losing the battle, but winning the war?

Last week's weight: 172
This week's weight: 175.2
Difference: +3.2
Total weight lost since January 2010: 96.6

Once again, I lost a couple of pounds and then I immediately gained them back. I'd like to blame this week's gain on Thanksgiving, but the trouble started well before Thursday. I faced a lot of mental hurdles this week and I let my emotions dictate what I ate.

When I was eating Cheez Doodles on Sunday and pizza on Wednesday (and other bad stuff in between), I knew I'd regret it. But somehow they made me feel better in that moment. I want to be able to stop myself. I think a lot about why I can't. I wish I could condition myself to do something else every time I want to binge eat.

As you know, this is something I've been dealing with since I first started this journey nearly three years ago. I keep mostly healthy food at my house, but that doesn't stop me from getting in the car and going to the grocery store when I want junk food.Sometimes, I convince myself that I'll just eat a little bit. After all, there's nothing wrong with eating a handful of chips or a slice or two of pizza. But that's never all I eat.

The first year of this journey seemed so easy. I changed my eating habits, started exercising and the weight came off. The second year was more difficult, but I rationalized that other factors in my life impeded my progress and I was content with basically maintaining. Now, a third year has passed and I'm starting to feel like I've wasted so much time. If I had tried harder, I probably could have lost those last 25 pounds already.

Of course, though, I try really hard not to beat myself up and not to be too negative. So I'm focusing on the big picture. It's not always easy to see just how much progress I have made. Maintaining my weight loss for as long as I have is an accomplishment. I know that. I also know that when I'm mentally ready to take on the challenge of losing the last 25 pounds I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sherry - glad to see you're still making progress. After I lost the 50 lbs I wanted to a couple of years ago, I moved three times to places where I couldn't walk like I could in Wilmington, changed jobs again, my scale broke, I quit paying attention, and next thing I knew I'd gained back almost 40 of it. I've got another scale, have walked almost 100 miles since I moved last month into a house with excellent walking access, and have lost about 10 of it. And we're almost exactly even now. I'll have to keep checking in to make sure you don't get too far ahead of me! Take care and happy holidays.
    SUSAN.

    ReplyDelete