Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Some things are unexplainable

Last week's weight: 174.2
This week's weight: 173.6
Difference: -0.6
Total weight lost since January 2010: 98.2

I was surprised, but thrilled, to see the number on the scale this week. On most days, I feel like I made good food choices and I exercised four out of seven days. But there was one day where I ate more than I normally do in a whole week. Seriously, avoiding junk food on Election Day at work is pretty much impossible. So I didn't even try. As a result, I ate five pieces of pizza, a cinnamon bun, a brownie, a pumpkin muffin (at least that was lowfat) and a bunch of mini candy bars. It really wasn't pretty. I felt guilty because I should have at least eaten less of the bad foods. But I can't go back now. I don't understand why I lost weight this week, but I'm happy I did.

Looking forward, I've decided to clean out my closet again. For three years now, I've done this about every six months. On one hand, it feels great to box up clothes that have gotten too big. On the other hand, it can be depressing thinking about how much money I've spent on clothes I'll never wear again.

I began this morning by trying on a vest I've owned for about 15 years. It's a size 22. When I first started my journey, I couldn't button it and it served as the one item of clothing that I would try on from time to time to see if I was losing weight.

Of course the scale tells me I've lost nearly 100 pounds, but it's hard for me to see it when I look in the mirror. I don't remember when the vest actually started to fit again and I haven't worn it during these three years. When I put it on today, it was amazing to see how big it is. I tried to picture how it looked when it was too small and how I looked. I couldn't because what I see in the mirror hasn't really changed. I was frustrated, so I stuffed it in the plastic bin and decided this will be the last time I try it on. It's too big and I don't need it to remind me how big I was. Time to move on and focus on what size I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment