Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Couch to 5K: Week 2, Days 3 & 4

If you've been following along since I started training for a 5K scheduled for the end of May, you know that it hasn't been going very well. I'm supposed to train three days a week for eight weeks. I've been trying to use an iPhone app to guide my progress. I haven't yet mastered the level of running needed to complete week one, so I just keep repeating those days.

I tried to follow the week two, day one program last Friday, but I mailed miserably. So I decided I shouldn't really count that day. That's why I actually trained four days this week. And the good news is that I'm doing more walking/running cycles than when I started.

My routine now consists (mostly) of walking for five minutes then 12 cycles where I run for about 45 seconds then walk for a minute and 45 seconds. I finish with a roughly 10-minute cool down walk. I'm not sure this is getting me closer to running a 5K, but it's bound to be increasing my fitness level because I'm now running part of the distance that I used to only walk.

I'm also appreciative of the encouragement I've gotten from friends this week. I'm struggling to feel good about myself right now because I've gained 10 pounds since this time last year and some of my clothes from last spring don't fit. Combine that with my lack of running progress and other stuff and I'm just not in the best place mentally. At least I'm trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment