Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Couch to 5K: Week 1, Day 3

Today's attempt at running was so bad that I'm not even sure I can count it as day three. To recap, in case you haven't been following along, on Friday I agreed to participate in my first 5K. It's at the end of May, which should be plenty of time to prepare. Training began Saturday and I'm using an iPhone app, 5K Runner, to help me stay on track.

The first two days weren't so bad. I couldn't quite run a full minute each time I was supposed to, but I was close. I considered those training days successes. I took a break Monday, but then I started to worry that I wouldn't get day three in. (My week starts over on Fridays.) I wasn't really in the mood to train after work today, but I headed to the park anyway.

I'm not sure what the problem was (tired, cranky, mental negativity), but I could barely run 30 seconds when I was supposed to run a minute. Not wanting to completely give up, I did still complete two laps (mostly walking) around the park. By the end, I felt like someone had set fire to my left knee and the muscles in my lower back felt like I'd been punched a few times.

I'm disappointed that I didn't do better. But at least I tried. The app calls for training three days a week. Technically, I did it. I'm taking two days off. Then I'll try again on Friday. The bad part is that I'm sure week two of the program will be even harder. I'm wondering if I should just do week one over. Somehow, though, that feels like admitting defeat.

And, because I don't like to be completely negative, there is good news. I've had five days in a row of healthy eating. I've tracked everything. Even though I've gone over my target number a few times, my activity points have more than made up for it. I'm really hoping the scale rewards my efforts on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment