Sunday, January 15, 2012

Recipe: Chocolate-covered strawberries

Even though I'm trying to lose weight, I still want dessert sometimes. I've learned to live with Weight Watchers popsicles or Fiber One brownies. But, let's be honest, they aren't the same as "real" dessert. Most dessert recipes that appeal to me are far too many WW points for me to make them. When I saw strawberries on sale at the grocery store today, I had an idea -- chocolate-covered strawberries. The fresh fruit is really good for me and it doesn't take make chocolate.

All you need are two packages of strawberries (about 40) and three tablespoons of chocolate chips. I used Ghirardelli 60% cacoa bittersweet chips, but whatever you like is fine. I washed the strawberries and cut off the greens, but you could leave those on. Then, I melted the chips in the microwave. Initially, I dipped the strawberries in the chocolate, but that was using a lot of chocolate. So then I used a spoon to drizzle the chocolate on the strawberries. The key is to make the chocolate last so you have enough for all of the strawberries. This makes four servings (about 10 strawberries). So simple, yet so decadent.

2 comments:

  1. yum! those look better than any cookie right now. I've drizzled magic shell (that stuff that goes on ice cream) & popped them in the fridge for a little while too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best WW dessert ever: Vitatop whoopie pie. Carefully split a chocolate Vitatop lengthwise and fill with a mixture of light Cool Whip and Better'n'Peanut Butter (no more than 1 T; a teaspoon or two will do). Put in freezer for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete