Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everything has a price

Somehow I let chocolate get the better of me today. First, I had two bites of a chocolate doughnut. Then, there were the five bite-sized candy bars. Finally, I gave into a small cupcake with about two tablespoons of icing on top. With each indulgence, I knew I was eating something I shouldn't. Any one of these things would have been fine on their own. But eating all three in one day really isn't acceptable.

But wait. There is good news. Feeling guilty when I got home, I decided to go for a walk around my neighborhood. Just a minute or two down the road and I started to jog. I walked and jogged for four laps (or 2.4 miles). I know I didn't burn enough calories to make up for the splurges, but I did jog more than I ever have before. And, mentally, I consider the fact that I ate something bad for me and then knew I needed to exercise as major progress.

Plus, I really want to run a 5K before I'm 40. I've got a little more than a year to do it (May 2013 is the deadline). Today was the first time I felt as if it might be possible. Of course, there is a price for everything. My left knee is throbbing and my feet are killing me. I have a feeling I'll have even more aches and pains tomorrow morning.

Nonetheless, I'm proud of today's mental and physical progress. I'm not sure what the scale is going to say come Friday, but I am happy to have momentum on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment