Saturday, February 4, 2012

Weekly weigh-in: Stressed out!

Last week's weight: 177
This week's weight: 177
Difference: 0
Total weight lost since January 2010: 94.8

I expected a better result when I stepped on the scale yesterday. I used only about half of my weekly Weight Watchers points and I exercised enough to gain almost the equivalent amount of points. What that means is that I should have lost weight. There's not logical reason I didn't. Plus, every day leading up to Friday morning, I posted a loss of about a pound. Analyzing the week, the only thing I can think to explain it is stress. There's lots of research out there that says being stressed can hinder weight loss. Well, this week nearly did me in.

Speaking of stress, I think it may have triggered a dizzy spell Friday night in which I nearly fainted at a bar downtown. It was really scary for me and those around me. I really don't know what happened. I was standing there listening to music and to other people talk. I looked at something on my phone and suddenly I could barely stand and I started to panic because the episode was bad enough but it would have been really embarrassing if I'd passed out on the floor in the middle of the bar. Luckily, they helped me sit down and within a minute or two I felt fine. (Just so you know, I had a beer with dinner and a beer at the bar. So don't go thinking that it happened because I'd had too much to drink.) And I feel normal today ... other than still feeling a little freaked out. My friend said it could have been an anxiety attack. I had already been telling her how weird I'd felt all day ... I think I described myself as spastic. In hindsight, she might be right. When I think about the events of the week, I guess I'm not surprised that my brain would simply say "OK, no more. I'm done now." After the incident, it felt like someone had pushed a reset button on my brain. I instantly felt calmer than I had all day.

My goal now is to spend the rest of the weekend taking it easy. I had planned to do some work I got behind on this week, but it will just have to wait. Instead, the next two days will be all about relaxing and keeping things as simple and drama-free as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment