Monday, April 25, 2011

Feeling blue

I've been trying so hard for the past couple of weeks to keep my emotions in check, which usually helps me keep my eating under control. I've done well, except for a few minor splurges here and there. But I'm really struggling today. I woke up wishing I could keep my head buried under the covers. No specific reason. Then I've felt sluggish all day. Again, I tried so hard to stay on track, but the chocolate candy in my desk drawer got the better of me this afternoon. I scarfed down a bunch of chocolate eggs. Of course, that made me feel guilty and a little sick. By the time I got home tonight, I was starving, so I ate dinner early. I still felt hungry, so I ate cereal. I can't possibly be hungry, but I still want to eat ... and nothing good for me. I'm certain of two things -- eating  the sugar earlier has made me just want more and my desire to eat is partly an emotional response. I want the comfort of food. I'm feeling blue and I've used food my entire life to make me feel better. Most days, I can overcome the temptation. I did it so well for a year. The past few months, though, I keep giving in. That tells me that I have not successfully addressed my emotional connection to food. My dilemma is what to do when I feel this way. Do I go ahead and eat something bad for me and hope that will be enough? Or do I keep fighting it, eating healthy snacks and hoping the urge to splurge will pass? It's a constant struggle. What I really need to do is figure out how to deal with my emotions better. But, of course, I'll leave that train of thought for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Sherry, I've been there my entire life. I'm 47 and for the first time I feel it's under control. A splurge is okay but you're addicted to food. Do not keep food that tempts you around - GET RID OF IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep fighting it! If you give in and buy chocolate, take it to work, eat a little and share. I love Cadbury eggs and bought a couple last week. But I gave one away and the one I ate is it for this year.

    Also, while you've clearly been splurging a bit too much, you've got the double whammy of having to restrict intake more, simply because you need so much less to operate your much-diminished body. The next 50 will be harder, so yes, you DO have to address the emotional connections and separate physical from psychic sustenance or you won't get there.

    I haven't read it, but one of the classmates I saw at my high school reunion last month wrote this book, maybe it would be helpful.
    http://www.fatmatters.com/

    ReplyDelete