Sunday, November 13, 2011

Recipe: Italian chicken


 Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I bought a package of three and cut them in half.)
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 cups dried whole grain or whole wheat pasta
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1 package fresh sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 can petite diced tomatoes
4 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Coat a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray. (I cover mine in aluminum foil first.) Place chicken on pan and sprinkle on the Italian seasoning. Add a little salt and pepper as well. Bake at 350 degrees until chicken is no longer pink inside. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain. While the chicken and pasta are cooking, add the olive oil to a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. (I used oil infused with garlic. If you don't have that handy, just add a little chopped garlic or a sprinkle of garlic powder.) Add the mushrooms and saute until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add the spinach a little at a time so it wilts down before you put in the next bunch. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Once all of the spinach is wilted, remove from heat. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Put the cooked pasta in the bottom. Place the six pieces of chicken evenly around the dish. Top each piece with an equal amount of spinach/mushroom mixture. Then top each piece with an equal amount of diced tomatoes. Finally, add the cheese. Cover and return to oven at 175 degrees just to heat everything through and melt the cheese. Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds sooooo good. I'm not sure if Julian told you but I went to "no-white" (no sugar and no refined/white flour)probably not so coincidentally last Sunday when I lost my mind with worry over firstborn MIA. I had some bad bloodwork results and I need to lose weight also. So I could do this recipe! It is amazing how many products contain hidden sugar. (Mary March)

    ReplyDelete