Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The price of pizza

Today had its good moments, but it also had its bad moments. I knew I was having pizza for lunch because of a function at work. I was actually kind of excited about it because I've been craving pizza for a couple of days. This seemed like a good opportunity to satisfy the craving without going overboard. I spent all morning telling myself that I could have two pieces. I even had a very light breakfast in anticipation of the pizza. Of course, once the pizza was sitting in front of me, I couldn't resist a third piece.

I was disappointed because I didn't eat it because I was hungry. I ate it because it tasted good. I was also disappointed in myself this afternoon because I couldn't resist the incredible desserts a reporter brought into the newsroom. Normally, a few bites of a brownie wouldn't matter, but on top of the pizza it felt like I had gone overboard today.

But there is good news. I'm proud that I stopped with just three pieces of pizza nnd a few bites of dessert. Two years ago, I probably would have eaten five pieces of pizza and tasted each of the roughly 10 desserts. And then I would have come home and stuffed myself with something awful for dinner. Instead, I stopped at the grocery store and replenished my stock of Progresso Light soup and came home and hopped on my exercise bike.

I had already done my normal 30 minutes (4 miles) on the bike this morning, but I felt like I had to do a little more. I know the additional 30 minutes (4 miles) doesn't exactly make up for the pizza/brownie, but it helps. And, mentally, it's a huge step in changing how I look at food. I'm disappointed that I indulged today, but I feel good about how I dealt with my guilt. What's more, I put in the double dose of exercise on a day when I have a sore throat and stuffy nose and I really want to just go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment