Sunday, November 13, 2011

Recipe: Pumpkin parfait

I was inspired this morning by watching someone on the Food Network make tiramisu. I've never had it, but it always looks so delicious ... and not very good for me. As you know, I love to experiment with recipes and I'm obsessed with pumpkin lately. So I decided I'd try a creamy pumpkin parfait.


Ingredients
2 pears, peeled and diced (I used red.)
1 apple, peeled and diced (I used a Granny Smith.)
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (plus a little extra to sprinkle on the fruit before baking)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 snack-size sugar-free vanilla pudding cups
Cooking spray
8 Nabisco Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers

Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray (I cover mine with aluminum foil first.). Place the diced fruit on the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees until slightly tender (about 10 minutes). Remove from oven and let cool. In a bowl, mix the pudding, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use. Once the fruit is cool, place a few chunks in the bottom of a dessert bowl (or you can use a fancy glass such as a margarita or martini glass). Top with about a tablespoon of pumpkin mixture. Repeat the layering of fruit and pumpkin until you've used it all. I got four layers of each for four desserts. Add two Nilla Wafers to each dish.
Note: If you don't mind a few extra calories, you could add a tablespoon of spiced rum to the pumpkin mixture and top the parfaits with a little whipped cream and chopped walnuts or pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment