Saturday, August 25, 2012

Recipe: Mexican casserole

Before I began my weight-loss journey in January 2010, I ate Mexican all the time ... whether it was out at restaurants or something I made at home. Of course, I wasn't making very smart choices then and everything I ate was loaded with fat and calories. I've tried once or twice to find a substitute and I've even come up with a healthy taco salad recipe and chicken fajitas. But I needed something with more bulk. Something that fit the comfort food definition. Today's casserole, although loaded with unconventional ingredients, turned out delicious. Don't let the unexpected veggies turn you off. Serve it with a skinny girl margarita and you'll have yourself a fiesta.


Ingredients
4 6" corn tortillas
1/2 lb. ground beef (93% lean)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, diced (If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out or add a diced onion instead.)
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 cup fresh spinach
1 tsp. cajun seasoning (You can use taco seasoning out of the package if you prefer.)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup taco sauce (From a jar or can. You can use enchilada sauce or even salsa.)
4 oz. Cabot reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (I specifically chose the kind with 75% less fat because I don't like regular reduced-fat cheddar. It comes in a block.)
3 fresh tomatoes, diced
Shredded iceberg lettuce (About 4 cups. I buy the pre-shredded pack.)
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray


In a large nonstick skillet, saute the ground beef, mushrooms and carrots until beef is browned and mushrooms are tender. Add spinach and cajun seasoning. Continue sauteing until spinach is wilted. Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Use two tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. Add half the ground beef mixture. Add half the beans. Spoon half the taco sauce on top. Cover with 1/4 of shredded cheese. Repeat with tortillas, beef mixture, beans and taco sauce. Cover with rest of cheese. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 10 minutes. Place one cup of lettuce and 1/4 of diced tomatoes on a plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut casserole into four squares. Place one square on top of lettuce and tomatoes. You can also add salsa. Makes four servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment