Sunday, August 5, 2012

Recipe: Potato, broccoli and corn chowder

I must be craving carbs ... again. At least this time I'm trying to eat them in moderation and as part of an overall lowfat meal. Yesterday I made stuffed shells. Today I went with a creamy potato, broccoli and corn chowder. I can't wait to make the chowder again when winter rolls around.


Ingredients
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) 99% fat-free chicken broth
2 cups fat-free buttermilk
1 onion, chopped (You need about 1 cup. I used a yellow onion, but you can use whatever you like, but I wouldn't recommend red.)
1 2/3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced (I used Yukon gold, but you can use whatever you have on hand.)
3 tsp. garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
Salt and pepper to taste

Pour chicken broth into a large pot. Add potatoes, onion and garlic. Cover and bring to a boil. Once potatoes are tender, let mixture cool slightly. Mix with a handheld immersion blender. (If you don't have one, you can transfer the mixture in batches to a regular blender, but that might get messy. If you don't have an immersion blender, I'd recommend simply not blending it. It will just be soup instead of chowder.) Once creamy, add buttermilk, broccoli and corn. Cover until it returns to a light boil. Reduce heat and add salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings. (I added a sprinkle of parsley and shredded cheese, but that's not necessary.)


No comments:

Post a Comment