Friday, December 30, 2011

Weekly weigh-in: Goodbye 2011!!!!

Last week's weight: 179.4
This week's weight: 180.4
Difference: +1
Total weight lost since January 2010: 91.4

I'm so glad this year is almost over. It's really been terrible in so many ways -- the least of which is my failure to make significant progress in my weight-loss journey. I started the year wanting to lose about 40 more pounds. I didn't come anywhere close to that goal. I could blame my failure on a lot of personal and professional stress during the past year, but I'm not a big fan of excuses. So I didn't achieve my goal and that's that.

I'm ending the year on a positive note and feeling optimistic about 2012. At my final weigh-in of 2010, I weighed 193.4. I wrote at the time that the number on the scale no longer mattered. Instead, how I felt was important. Somewhere along the way, I forgot that. And I did, indeed, lose 13 pounds this year, which is significant because it's now been two years since I started this journey. The more time that goes by without me gaining back the weight, the more I feel like I've truly changed my lifestyle.

As for how I feel ... I have good days and bad days. The emotional stress of this year has taken its toll on my mental progress. But the good days are starting to outweigh the bad days and I see the person I want to be slowly emerging. I saw two photos of myself recently and I felt like I didn't even recognize myself. I looked pretty and like a normal-sized person. That's hard for me to admit, especially because the person I see in those photos is not the person I see in the mirror. It's really very confusing.

My long-term goal is to maintain my weight somewhere between 150 and 155 pounds. That means I've got 30 pounds to go. I'm starting 2012 hoping to get there by the end of the year. I've been doing really well lately, so I'm even going to make a short-term goal of 10 pounds by April 1, which is a little less than a pound a week. That's ambitious, but I've never been one to shy away from a challenge and I always set high expectations for myself. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sherry! You have done as well as people who have weight loss surgery, with your own hard work and good steady progress, even when not losing at the pace you would like. I hope you reach your goal by tax time, and continue to your final goal. Losing at a pound a week is great for your skin and metabolism. And the exercise is great for your body and mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sherry!
    You are an inspiration to me and many others who look at you and think, if she can do it, so can I.
    You are definitely that beautiful woman you see in the photos -- not what you think you see in the mirror. More importantly, you continue to be beautiful on the inside.
    Considering the challenges you faced this year, 13 pounds is a major accomplishment. Lesser folks would have caved long ago.
    Stay strong, and know that you have many, many people rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete