Friday, December 31, 2010

The final weigh-in of 2010

I'm so happy this morning. The number on the scale was better than expected -- 193.4. Yes, I'm finally ready to reveal how much I weigh. I had told myself I was going to do it when I got below 200 pounds, but then I chickened out. It's important for me to be able to talk about it because I think that is the final mental obstacle. If I can be comfortable with it, then I think it will be easier not to focus on the number. It's just a number and this process is all about how I feel.

And I feel fantastic. I'm jumping for joy this morning as I think about how far I've come. One year ago, I weighed in at 271.8 pounds, which means I've lost 78.4 pounds. I was hoping to get to 80 pounds lost by today, but I'm not upset that I didn't reach my goal. I'm honestly thrilled to be where I am. During the past month, I've splurged more than I have the entire year. So the fact that I still lost a little weight makes me happy.

This year has definitely been one of change for me. In the past, I'd say I was the kind of person who didn't deal with change well. And I probably haven't dealt with it well all the time this year. But I've come to understand the value of it. And even though I've had my share of emotional ups and downs through this journey, I've come to the end of the year feeling like a different person and feeling excited about everything that's happened in 2010.

As the year ends, I want to make one final list of things that made me happy this year.

1. Losing weight. Of course, that tops the list. Every time I fit into a smaller size or someone comments on the progress I've made, I feel good. And I'm probably the healthiest I've been since I was a kid.

2. Meeting new people. I'll never be a "social butterfly" but I've met some of the nicest people in the past year. I've been working hard at building relationships and trusting people. I truly appreciate the people who have come into my life this year. They inspire me daily.

3. Getting support and encouragement. This has been extremely important to my success. I have one friend who always knows the right thing to say just when I need to hear it. And that friend has been instrumental in getting me to embrace the change that has come into my life this year. But I've also found support from so many others, many of whom will never even know it. Everyone is always understanding of my efforts and just knowing that so many others struggle with the same issues I do has been helpful. Through my blog, I've also gotten encouragement from people I don't even know, which is truly surprising to me.

4. Trying new things. Where do I begin? This will sound crazy, but the one that sticks out most is oysters. I can't believe I ate them, and they weren't that bad. If you know me, you know I'm stubborn. I seriously would have never just eaten oysters before. The fact that I did it this year epitomizes my willingness to go outside my comfort zone. I've done so many things I would have never done before. Some work out well; some not so much. But all of the experiences have contributed to a fantastic year.

5. Being happy. I still struggle with this one from time to time, but overall I am a much happier person than I was a year ago. Losing the weight has been a factor, but it's really about changing the way I think about and approach life. And the feeling is addictive. Now, when I don't feel that excitement for the day ahead, I get upset with myself. I like thinking positive and feeling good.

So as this year ends, I'm hopeful for the future. I want to lose 40 more pounds in 2011. Unlike this time last year, I feel certain that I will do it. I know I can do anything I set my mind to. But I also accept that I am a work in progress.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all of the above! And happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, you are such an inspiration. I am so proud to be your colleague and see not only your personal growth, but your professional growth as well. And as for the weight? Well, you rock!

    ReplyDelete