Sunday, January 6, 2013

Recipe: Apple and pear tart

Even though I'm trying to lose weight, I still want real dessert (not just a Weight Watchers popsicle or snack cake) every now and then. Plus, it should be obvious by now that I love to cook and bake. One of my favorite things about Sundays is that I get to spend much of the day in the kitchen. I must admit that I used a recipe for a souffled apple-pear pancake from Weight Watchers' "One Pot Cookbook" as a guide. I didn't follow it exactly, but I definitely feel like WW deserves some credit. BTW, you can use any kind of fresh fruit you like. I've made this with blueberries and strawberries in the summer and it was delicious.

Ingredients
1 Granny Smith apple
2 Bartlett pears
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup fat-free milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
A sprinkle of powdered sugar
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and core the apple and pears. Cut into thin slices. Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and add apple and pear slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Saute on medium heat until soft. (I added about a tablespoon of water in the process to help them soften.) In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk in flour. Coat a pie dish (you can use a square baking dish if that's all you have) with cooking spray. Add apple and pear mixture. Pour liquid mixture on top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm in the middle. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment