Sunday, January 6, 2013

Recipe: Hoisin chicken and mushroom stir-fry

Just like with the apple and pear tart I posted earlier, I took a little help in creating this recipe. The original recipe is hoisin pork and mushroom stir-fry from Weight Watchers' "One Pot Cookbook." Basically, I just like chicken better than pork and sometimes I improvise so I can use cheaper ingredients or something I already have on hand.

Without the cabbage
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 teaspoons hoisin sauce
4 teaspoons berry fruit spread or jelly (I used fig preserves because I already had those, but peach, apple or any berry flavor would be fine.)
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (You can use balsamic or leave it out if you don't have either.)
1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce (I used sriracha.)
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I used the kind from a jar, but fresh would be OK.)
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 package fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen mixed bell peppers (You can used one diced fresh pepper if you prefer.)
4 scallions (Cut into whatever size you like best. I used all of the white and about half of the green.)
1 Rotisserie chicken (I picked the meat off and cut into bite-sized pieces because Harris Teeter has them on sale on Sundays. But you could use 1 lb. chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces instead.)
1 bag shredded cabbage (This is optional. I mixed it in at the end. But you could also serve this with brown rice or quinoa.)

Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet or wok. Add peppers, mushrooms and scallions. Saute until tender. (If you're using raw chicken breast, cook that in the skillet before adding the veggies.) Add rotisserie chicken. Heat through. In a bowl, mix hoisin sauce, fruit spread, vinegar, chili sauce, garlic and sesame oil. Pour over chicken mixture. (I added 2 tablespoons of water because the mixture was thicker than I wanted. Use your best judgment.) Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes. Stir in cabbage. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment