Sunday, October 6, 2013

A close call

Today's trip to the grocery store was almost a disaster. I cooked plenty of healthy meals yesterday to get me through the week. But I needed a few extra things so I popped into Food Lion this morning. As soon as I pulled in the parking lot, I could hear the Cheez Doodles taunting me. Despite eating a little more than I should have yesterday, I was starving this morning. I ate a healthy breakfast, but that didn't seem to matter. The Cheez Doodles wanted me to buy them. Then, without warning, the frozen pizza aisle lured me in. I looked at every brand and seriously considered buying something on sale, eating one or two pieces and then throwing the rest away. But I knew I wouldn't eat one or two pieces. I'd eat the entire thing. I kept walking, but then I passed the chip aisle on my way to the checkout. The Cheez Doodles just wouldn't leave me alone. I stopped for a second and considered my options. I finally convinced myself that I could only buy the $5 bunch of flowers I had in my cart if I didn't buy the Cheez Doodles. I really wanted the flowers, so I'm thankful that I didn't give in to the Cheez Doodles.

The bad part is that my trip to the grocery store did nothing to help my hunger. I ended up eating lunch at 11:30 a.m. By 1 p.m., I was ready to eat just about anything and everything in my house. I made hot tea. Then I sought a distraction, so I ended up doing laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming and wasting about an hour surfing the web. Finally, I had a snack (roasted cauliflower and a little bit of cheese). That didn't satisfy me, so I made lowfat pineapple cupcakes. That did the trick. They took forever to make and at only 1 Weight Watchers point each, I was able to eat two without guilt.

Now it's almost time for dinner. And I'm proud to say I resisted temptation today and I even walked for 30 minutes. This is the mindset that helped me lose so much weight in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment