Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rational vs. irrational

I was reading a blog post this morning from a friend who's also trying to lose weight, and it made me think about split personalities. I'm typically considered a rational person. I like process and I think logically. Of late, however, the irrational part of my brain seems to be poking at the rational side.

Specifically as it relates to my weight loss journey, my rational mind says I should be really proud that I've lost more than 45 pounds since the beginning of the year. My rational self knows that losing that much weight is bound to make a difference in how a look and feel. Besides, I do feel better and some of my clothes are getting too big.

But my irrational mind looks in the mirror and doesn't see any changes. It starts to tell me that there's no point. I've been trying to lose weight for six months and I don't look any different. Plus, there are still plenty of clothes in the closet that don't fit. So clearly I have some body image issues.

Then there are my food issues. My rational mind understands that I need to eat a certain amount and type of food to stay healthy ... and lose weight. My irrational mind sometimes thinks I should just stop eating. And, oddly enough, there are days when I feel like I could not eat. Of course, then there are those days when I still want to eat everything in sight.

So how do I stop the irrational side of my brain from overtaking the rational side?

2 comments:

  1. Sherry, you DO look different. You may not see it yet, but others can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, you look great. Rosemary is right, we can see it. And I love that bright pink top you had on the other day. It was very becoming.

    ReplyDelete