Sunday, June 6, 2010

Welcome to my blog about weight loss

In January 2010, I reluctantly agreed to join some of my co-workers in our own version of the Biggest Loser. I'd already made a New Year's resolution to lose weight, exercise more, eat better ... you know the drill. But I've been making the same resolution since I was in high school 20 years ago. Why was this year going to be different?

I didn't really think it would be because I've never really committed to losing weight. I've thought about it a lot. But I've never made serious changes in my habits to produce change. When the challenge with my co-workers came along, I guess something just clicked. Mostly, I think I feared public failure.

So I signed up for Weight Watchers online. A colleague had been following Weight Watchers for about six months and she was doing great, looking slimmer and slimmer every day. Hearing her talk about it made me think I could do it too. Plus, I have another friend who's been very successful following Weight Watchers. What did I have to lose ... except those extra pounds.

I didn't win the challenge at work, but I did lose 24.6 pounds in three months, which was more than I ever imagined. Of course, I had to stick with it. Luckily, some of my co-workers decided to compete again. The weekly weigh-in on Fridays is definitely a motivator. I'm not winning this round either, but I am losing. Since January, I've lost a total of 40.8 pounds.

I plan to use this blog to talk about my weight-loss efforts and the ups and downs associated with those efforts. I love to experiment with recipes, so I'll also try to post those when possible or link to the sites where I found them.

If you have any advice, please feel free to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment