Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rewards are so much fun

I played tennis this morning for only the second time in 11 years. I used to play several times a week before I moved to Wilmington and I played on my high school team for a year. I'd been thinking about starting to play again for about a year, but I just couldn't get motivated to do it. Finally, after losing 50 pounds, I knew it was time. But I was still nervous and anxious. What if I passed out after 5 minutes?

Well, of course, I didn't. I made it 90 minutes. I did have an excellent partner who was really patient when I missed a shot. (I was just as patient, though, when he hit me while trying to serve. No harm done.) But I actually think I did OK. I wasn't great, but I didn't embarrass myself and that was important to me.

Hitting the ball was great. I love tennis because it requires focus. I can't (and don't) think about anything else except returning the ball. My mind felt so clear. There were no thoughts running through my brain, no strategizing, no what ifs.

Afterward, I felt amazing. I was so sweaty. My face was red. My heart was pounding. But the endorphins were definitely hard at work. I was almost giddy. I love tennis and playing again is a huge reward ... physically and mentally. And, oddly enough, the only thing that hurts is my thumb. Apparently, I need to redo the grip on my racket.

I can't wait to play again! If anyone's interested, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment