Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekly weigh-in: Am I losing weight too fast?

I just realized that I never posted about my weekly weigh-in. Even though the competition is over at work, I'm still weighing in every Friday morning. Last week, I lost 4.2 pounds, bringing me up to a little more than 55 pounds. As you know by now, I'm pretty realistic.

That's probably too much to lose in one week. I know I wasn't eating enough. As I expressed previously, my emotions were all over the place and the drama level was pretty high. In the past, those emotions and stress would have led me to eat everything in sight, including lots of stuff that's not good for me. Unfortunately, I think I've now gone in the opposite direction. When I'm stressed, I don't eat enough. I've been so preoccupied (mostly with my own thoughts) that I've not been paying enough attention to my eating habits. I haven't been skipping meals, but I have been eating smaller ones and skipping my snacks.

I'm going to try to do better this week, but I'm not off to a very good start. Even if I ate a second dinner, I wouldn't have reached my target Weight Watchers points for the day. Or I guess I could eat 11 bags of popcorn. Since neither of those seem likely, I'll settle for a snack later and resolve to do better tomorrow.

My concern is that everything I've read tells me that losing weight too fast is not good for my body and will make it harder to achieve long-term success. I've actually lost almost 10 pounds in the past three weeks. Weight Watchers says a healthy average is between 1 and 2 pounds a week. Since January, though, I'm averaging 2.1 a week. Should I be worried? I feel really good, much better than I have in years. But I want to make sure I'm being smart and not hurting myself in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment