Thursday, March 10, 2011

An interesting perspective

I was talking to my boyfriend last night about my blog because he'd read yesterday's post. Of course, the part that stood out was that I said I think about him a lot. But then he said he feels weird talking to me about my "diet" because he doesn't want me to think he thinks I need to lose weight. Aww. That's so sweet.

The conversation got me thinking that a lot of people probably don't know how to respond to my weight loss. In the beginning, I never talked about it. Now I'm very open.

I guess I can see how it would be weird for people. When I chastise myself for eating a cookie or pie or having wine, what are others supposed to say? If they agree that it was bad, they seem to be criticizing me. If they tell me not to worry about it, then they seem to be enabling me.

I told my boyfriend that the best approach is to listen, but not to feel compelled to respond. I also stressed that I am the only one who can control what I eat and drink. No, I don't want someone constantly telling me to eat things that are bad for me. But I know they can't make me eat it.

I also don't think others should change their habits because of me. That said, I feel like I should be able to at least comment on how difficult it is for me to watch someone else eat candy, pie, fried foods, etc. in front of me.

For the most part, everyone has been tremendously supportive throughout this process. I wouldn't have made it without the people who've told me I'm doing a good job. I most appreciate people who let me ramble on about my successes and failures and they let me eat whatever I want without judgment. I've come a long way. I think I know what I'm doing at this point.

What's most important to me, though, is that people understand how important this journey is. I told my boyfriend that I am committed to achieving my goal. That doesn't mean I won't splurge from time to time or that I'll get there as quickly as I'd like. But it is about personal development. I'm not doing this for anyone but me.

2 comments:

  1. Sherry, one of the most powerful things about my 24 relationship with my best friend and husband is that he never pressured me to change. While he does enable some of my bad habits (chocolate and wine, oh my) he is also lovingly supportive of my desires, such as losing weight. But our relationship is not hinged on how much I weigh. Dana loves the person inside not the physical container, as I his person and not his bodily container. As you get older you find out the container changes. But the person inside is who you fall in love with. And you have to love yourself first. You must love yourself at whatever weight and place in life that works for you. Thank you for sharing your beautiful soul. How special you are.

    ReplyDelete