Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Frustrated, but still moving forward

This might sound like I'm whining at this point, but I simply don't understand why I've stopped losing weight. Last week, I gained a half pound. Now, this week so far I'm up another half pound. What's going on?

Almost every week since January, I've lost weight. And the few where I didn't seemed to be anomalies. If I gained or stayed the same one week, the next week went really well. So why isn't that happening this time?

I tried not to freak out last week. But now it's really frustrating. With all the walking I'm doing, I feel like I should be losing. I'm staying within my allotted Weight Watchers points every day, so I'm baffled. It's not a good feeling.

It's even more frustrating because I feel great. All the walking has made me feel stronger and more committed than ever to leading a healthier lifestyle. The way I eat now is habit. And walking is almost habit.

But it can't be coincidence that my weight gain over the past two weeks has occurred when I started walking. Maybe I'm building muscle, which would be great. But, mentally, I'm not sure it's worth it. I need to see the number on the scale going down.

On a more positive note, I am still changing in other ways. This might seem trivial to some, but I've worn a skirt (knee-length, at that) to work for two days in a row. That's a huge step for me. Eight to 10 years ago, I wore skirts nearly every day. Of course, I never wanted to admit it before, but I stopped because they no longer fit. Now, they all do. It felt great to wear them. Oh, and I've been wearing sleeveless shirts. Showing my arms and legs is major progress.

Once again, I feel like the real me is emerging.

No comments:

Post a Comment