Sunday, September 5, 2010

Take that!

I can remember my 10th grade gym teacher yelling at me one day about how he didn't care how long it took me, but I better get outside and walk a mile around the track or he was going to flunk me. I was having a major anxiety attack because, oh, btw, this was the same day we all had to weigh in front of the entire class. I still remember exactly how much I weighed and just how mortified I was at being publicly humiliated. I don't remember whether I completed a mile, but I do remember crying. And I didn't flunk gym class.

Well, today I walked 3 miles ... for probably the first time in my entire life. I might have been slow, but I did it. I don't know why 3 miles was the mark that allowed me to tell that teacher to shove it. But I consider it a major mental breakthrough. With each step I took after 2.5 miles, I was thinking, "Take that!"

Now, my goal is to figure out how to get faster.

1 comment: