Friday, September 3, 2010

Weekly weigh-in: Slow and steady wins the race

It's been a good week -- another two pounds lost. That's just about what I would have expected. I splurged a bit last Saturday and on Wednesday. But I was very conscientious about my eating the other days. And I walked three times this week.

This week's loss brings me to a total of 63.6 pounds since January. I know I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but I feel great and I'm amazed that I truly seem to have adopted a new way of life.

Plus, I'm learning more and more every day that the journey is just as much mental as it is physical. For example, I was folding clothes earlier this week and I really thought some of the new things I've bought looked too little to fit me. I thought maybe they shrank in the dryer. But they didn't. They fit. And, in some cases, some of the new clothes are starting to get too big. It's a mental stumbling block.

One way I've been trying to overcome those negative thoughts are rewards. When I hit the 50-pounds-lost mark, I chose five ways to reward myself. For the most part, I've accomplished everything. I've only played tennis once, which is disappointing because I do love it so much. But I have walked The Loop at Wrightsville Beach several times and I've started walking several times a week in my neighborhood. I didn't buy one nice bottle of wine, but I have had my fair share of nice wine at restaurants in the past six weeks. I did buy new clothes. And I am trying to be happy. I think most people would say they've noticed a difference in my attitude. Sure, I still get down every now and then, but I rebound pretty quickly. And, in general, I'm having fun.

When I hit 75 pounds lost, I'm planning to re-evaluate my rewards and possibly make a new list. But I've probably got a couple of months before that happens based on my current rate of weight loss. Still, once again, I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment