Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two steps back, one step forward

So I vowed earlier this week to get on track with my eating habits and stay there because I'm determined to reach 75 pounds lost by the end of October. I did well the first few days. But today was a different story. We had a going away potluck lunch at work and I completely overindulged. Combine that with a little too much wine early in the week and I'm probably not as on track as I need to be. I ate so much for lunch today (sausage, chicken nuggets, macaroni salad, antipasto salad, macaroni and cheese, bread, etc.) that I feel sick just thinking about it. It was a setback, but not worth worrying over.

The other setback today was when I went to get dressed this morning. It's been raining for days and it's actually gotten a little chilly outside. (And freezing in the office.) I finally decided it was time to break out long pants and shirts with sleeves. I just reorganized my closest this past weekend to move all of the clothes that are too big to one side. Apparently, my self-image isn't improving as much as I would like. I tried on several pairs of pants and sweaters from the side of clothes that fit and they were all too big. That's a good problem in the grand scheme of things. I am trying to lose weight. What worries me is that I actually thought those clothes would fit. They were too small last fall, so I reasoned that they would fit this year because I've lost weight. I looked at the clothes and really thought they would fit me. But they weren't just a little bit too big. They were huge. Obviously, I've lost more weight than I realize. I have not a single pair of long pants that fit. I ended up wearing baggy clothes today. I guess I'll be shopping this weekend. Again, a good problem to have. But part of the journey is learning to see myself for who I am.

Finally, I did at least end the day with a step forward. I haven't walked the neighborhood since Sunday morning. I was feeling antsy today. Did I mention that it's been raining for days? I think that's mostly why I really felt the need to get outside. I wasn't going to walk in the rain. But I knew some exercise after such a crazy day (and two steps back) would do me good. I actually road my exercise bike for the first time in a long time. It felt great and I was proud of myself. I consider it a good sign that I had this excess energy at the end of the day and I used it to exercise. That is a true sign of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment