Thursday, November 25, 2010

A day of firsts

I started the day reflecting on what I'm thankful for this year. Something I didn't exactly put on the list, but is true, is that I'm thankful I do things out of the ordinary now. I know I say this all the time, but I am a different person compared to a year ago. And today was filled with lots of little things that prove just how different I am.
  • I had Thanksgiving dinner (which was actually an oyster roast and there was no turkey) at the home of people I had never met before today. It was a friend's 40th birthday and on a whim she invited me. I felt really uncomfortable at first, but once I was committed, I decided to just go with it. The hosts turned out to be the nicest people and this turned out to be a seriously fun Thanksgiving.
  • I ate oysters. Before today, the last time I ate an oyster was in college and it involved tequila shots and a dare. My mom used to make me eat oysters growing up and I hated them. I went to today's shindig thinking I wouldn't eat them. But shortly before I got there, something in my head told me that I had to try one. This whole year has been about trying new things. I ended up eating about a half dozen. It was fun shucking them and the rosemary butter was to die for ... but I also tried the garlic butter and the hot sauce. 
  • I tasted 10 pies at one time. Part of the plan for the dinner was to have a pie bake-off, so lots of people made pies. I tasted every one ... and liked them all. Normally, I would not have eaten most of them ... but I was in the mood to branch out.
  • I made a pie. I never did that before. It was chocolate and almond. I think people liked it. I sure did
  • I tried homemade dandelion wine. It was pretty potent and it didn't smell so good. But it didn't taste too bad. Still, it probably wouldn't be my first choice. The important part is that I tried it.
Obviously, my day of firsts had a lot to do with food. It was Thanksgiving. It's clear to me, though, that I am trying to be open-minded. I am trying new things. I am trying to embrace change. And I am liking the person I've become.

No comments:

Post a Comment