Monday, November 8, 2010

Getting fit

I did quite a bit of walking this past weekend and I continued today. Sometimes, I feel like it's become an obsession. I've written before about how I tend to be a little OCD about things. OK, maybe a lot in some cases. Anyway, I really want getting fit to be an obsession because I know that once I fixate on something I won't let it go until I've achieved whatever I define as success.

In this case, of course, I'm already achieving greater success than I thought possible. The first time I walked The Loop at Wrightsville Beach in July, I couldn't make it all the way around without taking a break. I felt light-headed and breathing wasn't easy. Now, I can walk two laps, which is almost 5 miles. I'm pretty slow, but I consider the improved endurance a good sign. Seriously, I can walk 5 miles without passing out. I can remember not wanting to walk a block downtown to go to lunch or dinner with friends. In fact, I'm sure I said no to quite a few events in the past simply because I would have had to walk too far. Now, I feel like I could walk anywhere, anytime. And I would never dream of skipping an event because I might have to park too far away. I've come a long way.

What's most important is that I feel like I'm getting fit. I feel healthier every day. This weekend is the first time when I've been able to feel it. Once again, I think a lot of it is psychological. Of course, I've felt better for quite some time. But mentally something clicked this weekend. I feel strong and in control of this process and more committed than ever. I'm still struggling, though, with what the next step is. I want to get faster, stronger and more toned. I just don't know how to get there and, honestly, how to force myself to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment