Sunday, November 28, 2010

Things to do before I'm 40

I've been thinking for a couple of months that I wanted to start a Bucket List ... you know, stuff I want to do before I die. Thinking about dying seems kind of ominous, so I'm going to focus on things I want to do before I turn 40. I'm 37 and 7 months now, so that gives me almost 2 1/2 years. I'm going into this realizing that I may not accomplish everything on the list, but I hope I at least do some of the things. Part of the challenge will be to not do any of them by myself (well, unless they are clearly things you would normally do solo). As you know, I've spent a lot of time this year working on my personal relationships. Achieving these milestones with my friends will be fun and a good test of whether I really have changed.

So here's my list. I'll keep adding to it over time and, of course, let you know when I mark something off.

1. Visit Italy. I don't know where exactly I want to go, but I want to see vineyards and drink wine and look at beautiful architecture.

2. Skydiving. I think I've only told one person ever that I want to do this and that was just a week ago. I've thought about it for years and I think it would be the most fun.

3. Take a hot air balloon ride. Ever since watching the Wizard of Oz as a kid, I've wanted to do this. It just seems cool. Of course, there'd need to be champagne and a picnic.

4. Run a 5K. I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk one soon. But I want to run. I'm not even close to that yet, but I'll get there eventually.

5. See the Grand Canyon. No special reason. Just something I've always wanted to do. And I want to listen to Eddie From Ohio's "Under David's Feet" while looking at it. (Of course, this song could also have something to do with my desire to visit Italy.)

6. Own a red Mustang convertible. I've owned two red Mustangs previously, but I've always wanted a convertible. And it has to be cherry red. (BTW, I drive a burgundy Ford Escape right now.) This seems unlikely since I'll still be paying for my current car, but you never know.

7. Highlight my hair. Sounds silly, right? I've thought about it for years. Just too chicken to actually do it. But the gray is really starting to show. It's probably time.

8. Sing karaoke. Don't laugh. I actually love to sing. I just don't do it in front of other people because I think I'm terrible at it. Doesn't matter anymore. I want to be able to say I've done it.

9. Plant a garden. I'll probably have to start small, a few herbs or something. But I sure would love to grow something in my yard and then eat it.

10. Paint my walls. If I'm still living in my current house, the walls need to be painted. I've lived here 7 1/2 years and they are all still white. I'd give anything for some color. But I have no idea what I'm doing, so I need someone to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment