Thursday, November 25, 2010

What I'm thankful for

I can honestly say that I don't ever remember making a list of things I'm thankful for. I don't know why exactly, but it probably has something to do with not appreciating the good things in my life. Until this year, I've allowed the negative to take center stage. For regular readers, though, you know that I'm different now. I've spent this year working on myself ... in a lot of ways. Of course, there are many things I'm thankful for this year, but here are my top five.

1. I'm thankful for my weight loss. I've lost about 75 pounds since January, and I'm probably the healthiest I've been in my whole life. I am thankful for having the strength to finally take control of my eating habits and pursue this journey. But I'm more thankful for the people who have supported me along the way. Without constant encouragement, I don't think I would have made it.

2. I'm thankful for my friends -- new and old. My weight loss journey has spawned another journey -- one that has me working to develop personal relationships with people. It's not easy for me, but it is quite rewarding.  So I say thank you to my old friends who've accepted the changes I'm making in my life and thank you to all those new people who've accepted me into their lives. You all constantly prop me up and make me a better person.

3. I'm thankful for my family. Although I don't see them often, I know they are always there. It's been a year of ups and downs for many of my family members, but, like so many others, they've been there to support me in my efforts this past year.

4. I'm thankful I have a job I love. I love what I do and it makes me happy. I am fulfilled by what I do. And I'm thankful I work with such a great group of people.

5. I'm thankful I'm a happier person. This past year has taught me that I'm capable of a lot more than I ever gave myself credit for. It's also taught me that I have two choices about how I approach life. I'd like to think that I choose to be happy. Even when I'm facing setbacks or obstacles, most of the time I can step back and think about what's good in my life. It's hard to explain, but the inside of my brain actually feels different compared to a year ago.

So I'm ultimately thankful to be enjoying my life. I feel like I'm on the right path and exactly where I'm supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. And I am thankful to work with you, know you and have you share your journey with me. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in as one of you many fans. I am so thankful to have you as a colleague and a friend. You inspire me almost daily, and I hope you know how thankful I am to have you in my life. You are an amazing and beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete