Sunday, November 21, 2010

Regaining control

After the craziness of last week, I knew I needed to take a step back and take a deep breath. So I put on my pajamas at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon and ended up asleep by 9. Ten hours later, I feel well-rested physically, but my brain still feels like it needs another 10 hours of sleep. In fact, I'm still sitting in bed as I write this. I'm sure I'll get up eventually.

The good news is that I'm feeling much calmer and back in control of my thinking. I'm back on track with my eating, having made the most delicious and healthy spaghetti for dinner last night. I haven't walked/run in four days. That's the longest I've gone in months probably. It's shaping up to be a nice day. Maybe I'll hit The Loop later. I know it will make me feel better. One problem, however, is that I seem to have pulled a muscle in my left leg. No, it didn't happen running. I can't even tell you when/how it happened. But it's been hurting for two days.

The bad news is that the scale is not cooperating. I'm definitely paying for last week's excess, which is frustrating but I know I have no one to blame but myself. I made the choices I made and have to take responsibility for those decisions. Sure, I let others influence my choices, but I didn't have to listen. Now, I must suffer the consequences.

Finally, the thought I hope to carry with me into the coming week is that my problems are so small compared to those of others. I do spend a lot of time on self-reflection, which means I'm focused on my own issues and problems most of the time. But I've had two experiences in the past two days that have reminded me that others are dealing with things far worse. So when I'm tempted to lament too much, I will think about those people, keep my chin up and simply deal with whatever my problem is.

No comments:

Post a Comment