Monday, November 1, 2010

A true sense of accomplishment

It's been three months since I decided to "reward" myself by walking The Loop at Wrightsville Beach. Today, I walked it twice. That's almost 5 miles. I was slow, but I feel fantastic. I'm so glad I pushed myself to do it. Just like after the first time, I can't wait to do it again. I'm feeling such a sense of achievement.

And I have my friend Diana D'Abruzzo to thank. Like me, she's trying to lose weight and she blogs. Her weight loss journey spans years and she's the one who convinced me to start this blog. Her post today about her struggles made me cry, but it also inspired me because Diana's so strong and brave. She's very open in her blog, even posting her weight. I admire her so much and I really don't think she even knows how much she motivates others. Diana walks/runs miles. I want to be like her, so I pushed myself harder today.

While I was walking, I was thinking again about all of the people who've supported my efforts. Sometimes, I don't think people even realize how something they've said has inspired or motivated me to keep going. I am so appreciative of everyone who simply says, "You're doing a great job." It's nice when people recognize how hard I'm working and how hard this journey is.

Yes, I'm having so much fun and enjoying my life. But the mental hurdles definitely outweigh the physical hurdles at this point. Just this weekend, I caught my reflection in a window and cringed. My mood immediately changed. I've been thinking about it since. On the other hand, I actually allowed my family members to take pictures of me. For so long, I've basically refused to be in photos. Now, I don't mind it as much. My point: Every time I start to feel like I'm not achieving the results I want, I resolve to work harder and to push myself more.

I will reach my goal ... whatever that is. I am hoping to set a final goal by the end of the year. I think it's time to realize that the changes I've made are for good and that I can get to whatever weight I want. I'm more determined than ever to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment