Monday, February 14, 2011

Cupid is Stupid

I saw two posts on facebook today -- Valentine's Day -- that really made me laugh. The first was a photo this morning of Cupid being stabbed in the back with an arrow. Yeah, I could kill Cupid right about now. That's a little harsh, but seriously Cupid is not my friend today. The second was "Cupid is Stupid" as a status update. Apparently, the phrase originated on T-shirts. Cupid is stupid! I know this because I'm single on Valentine's Day. If Cupid was smart, I wouldn't be.

I'm pretty jaded and cynical most of the time, so you wouldn't expect me to get all depressed about Valentine's Day. But I'm really all gooey and mushy on the inside. People don't get to see that side often, but it's there. I even bought myself flowers yesterday in an attempt to stave off the blues. Didn't work.

The only ray of hope came at the end of the day when I was talking to a friend and asked if he and his partner were doing anything for Valentine's Day. He said no because they do things together all the time to have fun. He followed up by saying how happy he is. Knowing these two people, it just warmed my heart to hear that. My friend really deserves to be happy, so it made me feel good to hear that he is.

As if I haven't whined enough, I think my mindset would be a little better if everything else about today wasn't awful. To put it simply, work was stressful -- in so many ways. By the end of the day, I felt like I couldn't put out one more fire. And I couldn't answer one more question or make one more decision.

The unfortunate part is that I have a day like today and I want to come home and eat everything in site ... especially comfort foods. The good news is that I won't. I have a plan for dinner and I'm going to stick to it. It does involve cooking on a weeknight, which I rarely do, but I think it will be good for me to stay busy cooking. Less time to think about eating stuff that's not good for me. I guess you could call that progress.

Mostly, though, I'd love it if today could end on a positive note. I don't know what that might be, but I will know it if it happens. Otherwise, all I can do is hope that tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment