Thursday, February 17, 2011

Waiting for a sign

A friend told me the other night that since I began my weight loss journey, it seems that I have all these roads in front of me. Sometimes, it seems like I don't know which one to take. So I take one, then another, then another. I've been thinking about what she said ever since.

I think she's right. Sometimes, I choose a path and I like what I find. Other times, I get all turned around and confused and don't like where I end up. That's when I backtrack or go in another direction. I even think that sometimes I choose a road and end up completely lost in the woods. I get scared. I panic. But eventually I find my way back.

If you're a regular reader, then you know already that could explain why I'm constantly blogging about feeling out of sorts. Sticking with the road analogy, I've spent all day waiting for a sign to point me in the direction. I see all these roads in front of me and I honestly don't know what to do. Right now, I feel like I'm just standing there looking at them. How long will I consider which one to take?

Part of me (often referred to as the old me) thinks I should just turn around and go home. After all, there is only one path behind me and it's what I know. No chance of getting lost. But the other part of me (the new me) thinks that my anxiety is actually excitement. The new me sees the roads and wonders which one will be the most fun and adventurous. The new me knows the terrain might be unfamiliar, but I believe I'm ready for anything.

So what kind of sign am I waiting for? If I'm honest with myself, the signs are there. I think I'm either not paying attention or I'm not reading them correctly. For now, I guess I'll just keep looking at the roads ... because I'm not turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment