Tuesday, February 8, 2011

That was dumb

I'm a numbers junkie. Ask anyone at work. I love tracking data and using it to analyze and solve problems. That's because the numbers don't lie. I know you still have to use some common sense when looking at data, but the numbers generally paint a pretty accurate picture.

So it's no surprise that I approach tracking my weight loss in the same way. Luckily, using the Weight Watchers online system makes it easy. I plug in my weight each week and it generates various reports about how much I've lost in a week, a month, etc. It also gives me lots of info about my "points" but that actually requires me to keep track, which I haven't been doing very well lately.

I don't know why I picked today, but I started poking around and looking at the charts this evening. I already knew that I wasn't making a lot of progress lately. But I really didn't know how bad the situation was until today. I've lost less than a pound in the past month and only 4.4 pounds in the past three months. That really is terrible. At this stage, I should probably be losing a half pound to a pound each week.

I feel dumb for looking today because my head's not exactly in the right place anyway. Now I'm really bummed. I know it was the holidays and I splurged. I guess I just didn't realize how much. And now I'm terrified that I've gotten so far off track that I will never get back to where I was.

I've noticed since the beginning of the year that it's incredibly difficult to be diligent in my eating habits. I start every day thinking that I can do it. But I end up going over my daily points all the time. I try to eat what I used to eat and I feel like I'm starving. How did I do it before? I feel like I was mentally so strong before and that my will power kicked in whenever I thought about splurging. What's changed? And how do I get back where I was?

The biggest change is that I've stopped tracking my points. I know. That's dumb. Clearly, that was working. I don't even really know why I stopped. Laziness, I guess. I also think I've simply been focused on other things. I've blogged a lot in the past few months about making new friends and trying new things. Although I'm having so much fun, those things take up a lot of my time and attention. Finally, I've given myself permission to splurge more often. Obviously, that's a problem. I don't want to feel like I'm denying myself something I want, but I also know I'm not making the smartest choices.

So, yes, I'm depressed about it today. But I'm not really one for wallowing in sorrow for very long. I'm hoping my normal routine will kick in and I'll solve this problem quickly ... just like I do most other problems. I have a goal. I intend to achieve it. Despite the little voice in my head that sometimes tells me to give up, I don't want to give up. I want to prove that I can do it.

4 comments:

  1. I know you don't need me to tell you, but of course the first thing you have to do is start counting those points again. If you're not counting, you'll just get further out of control. Then, equally obviously, you have to realize that you can keep having new friends, but keep the limitations on intake that have gotten you this far.

    I sound like someone's mother, but if a friend only likes you because you can match them drink for drink and wing for wing and chip for chip, they're not the kind of friends you need. Go out, have a drink, have something reasonable for a snack or appetizer, then stop. Get a club soda or even just water, or a really light beer if you drink beer. I've been drinking Heineken light, which isn't bad at all and only has 1 point.

    I splurge sometimes too, but generally at the end of the week when I still have all my weekly points left because I try to stick to the daily + activity points every day.

    You can go someplace threatening and still enjoy it without splurging - I actually ate at the Cheesecake Factory, probably the worst of all chain restaurants at least, the other night and had a 12-point meal, tataki tuna salad, and it was lovely and I didn't feel at all deprived.

    You have been doing this a lot longer than I have and had much greater success, so you know how to do it - the key thing right now is that you don't let the data fool you into thinking that holiday season indulgences and a little neglect since then make your already significant accomplishments irrelevant. That would only be true if you stop now!!!!

    On the practical side, you really do need to bring more groceries home. You should have several attractive frozen meals or the equivalent ready to mull over and pop in the microwave to combat the urges you've been mentioning to order in. There are quite a few good Lean Cuisines, and a couple of Healthy Choice and WW meals. I really like Amy's and Cedarlane in the organic section, although you have to watch for a few that are too much (only get Amy's full meals, not the entrees) and just had two Gorton's tilapia fillets for supper tonight, for 4 points and 4 minutes in the microwave, with a whole can of cooked cabbage (no fat kind) for 0 points. I spend more on that kind of stuff now, but it's healthier and worth it, especially compared to the dual costs of takeout.

    And finally, you know perfectly well that you can't be bringing carrot cake home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. You are right about everything. Grocery shopping and planning are two things I did really well in the beginning. I knew what u was going to eat and when I was going to eat it. That meant less room for temptation. I need to get back to that. I know I just have to be focused and make it a priority. As for my friends, they are so supportive. For the most part, they keep me on track more than they tempt me to get off track. I'm sorry if I made if sound like they don't. Anyway, as always, thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you Sherry for holding yourself accountable. You're not in denial and you obviously know your weaknesses.

    You haven't gained weight so that in itself is something to be very proud of

    I'm a compulsive eater and as you know I'm tackling the whole weight issue too. I do understand.

    You've recognized what you need to do. So, don't beat yourself up over it. Move on, you're going to do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean to imply your friends were bad influences, sorry - it's clear they are supportive and helpful. I just wanted to highlight that sometimes it seems like you're trying to keep up with them and remind you that you don't have to do that to keep friends - unless they were as I described, for demonstration purposes only!
    ;-]

    ReplyDelete