Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Letting it go: Day 17

It's been two and a half weeks since my post about trying to let go of a certain obsessive-compulsive behavior. My apologies, again, for not being specific. But I figured it was time for an official check-in. I was rating each day in the beginning on a scale of 1 to 10. The best day I had was an 8; the worst was a 2. Overall, I've had quite a few ups and downs. But I think I've slowly made progress. The bad days are now the 5s. Still, no 10s, but yesterday was definitely a 9 and today is headed in that direction.

My point really is that I was giving myself 30 days to break a bad habit. I'm not there yet, but if the past two days are any indication, I think I'm getting close. Something just clicked, I think. I've been in several situations in the past two days where I could have let my OCD win, but I didn't. In fact, I was quite calm about it and made conscious choices not to do the thing that drives even me crazy.

I feel good about it. The irrational side of my brain seems quiet for now. I hope this is a sign of things to come. And a sign that I am in control of my thoughts and actions. Of course, who else would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment