Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Swapping one addiction for another

If one more person comments about my facebook addiction, I might just scream. I know I'm addicted. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe I've swapped eating with facebooking? I definitely think there's a correlation. In the past, I clearly ate when I was bored or frustrated or stressed or whatever. Now, I post on facebook. Instead of reaching for food, I dash off a comment or two about whatever is on my mind. What's wrong with that? Do I need to remind people that I've lost almost 80 pounds this year and am healthier now than ever? If you don't want to know what I have to say, hide my posts. I don't care. It won't hurt my feelings. I won't even know. I'm not hurting anyone and, more importantly, it stops me from eating. I have a lot of nervous energy. My brain spins all the time. It's an outlet for that anxiety. Why does it bother some people so much? I wish I could explain better how some random thread on facebook keeps one part of my brain busy, which actually helps me focus on other things. It's like when I was a reporter. I doodled in my notebooks all the time. You might have thought I wasn't paying attention to what people were saying or wondered how I got my quotes right. The doodling actually kept me more focused. Without it, my mind would be all over the place. Facebook does the same thing. It occupies brain space that would otherwise be spent running out of control (or to the fridge). Oh, and most of the time the people I'm friends with really make me laugh. I love the random posts that just make me smile or chuckle. It's like a little ray of sunshine in my day. Again, what's wrong with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment