Monday, May 2, 2011

Building momentum, I think

The obsession I had for walking last summer seems to be taking hold once again. It's starting to feel like one of those things I just have to do. On days when I don't walk, I actually feel depressed. So I guess it's good that I've walked for three days straight -- 5 miles Saturday, 5 miles Sunday and 3 miles today.

I'm suffering from a few aches and pains, though. The muscles in my back are hurting. That hasn't happened before, so I don't know if I should be worried. I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong or different. Any thoughts? The good part is that after I walk, I'm exhausted ... but in a good way. The sense of accomplishment is amazing. And I just feel better.

As you know, I decided yesterday that I was going to do something every day this week (because my birthday is Wednesday) to make myself happy. Today, I used my favorite bath gel and lotion after my walk. I know that sounds like a small thing, but I have a very limited quantity of both left because Origins stopped making it about a year ago. I hardly ever use it anymore because I'm saving it for special occasions. Today, even though no one else will even smell it, I decided I was worth it. I used it just for me.

Finally, the eating is going well. A few little splurges here and there, but nothing crazy. I might have had a little too much wine and beer over the weekend, but I'm hoping the walking will make up for that. I feel like I've been building momentum the past three weeks. I'm finally seeing food and exercise in the way I used to a year ago. I just hope it pays off on the scale.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Sherry-- try new shoes for the back. Get some cushioned ones like Nike Shox or the ones Adidas makes. New shoes are necessary every 6 mos. when you're walking a lot even though they look fine on the outside. If not the shoes, try lying on your back and pulling your knees into your chest after a walk. Hold a minute or two.

    Mary March

    ReplyDelete