Saturday, May 21, 2011

Recipe: Perfect Pasta

I love pasta, but it's not so good for my weight-loss efforts. During my journey, I've experimented with a lot of recipes. My goal is to find ways to have pasta but it small amounts. That means using a lot of other ingredients, mostly veggies, to fill me up. Here's a new one I'm trying for dinner tonight. The only thing that would make it better would be mozzarella cheese on top, but then it wouldn't be quite as good for me.

Ingredients
4 al fresco brand spinach and feta chicken sausage links
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I prefer portabello, but I used button today because they were on sale, so any kind are fine.)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (fresh or pre-chopped from a jar is fine.)
Two 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes (If you buy the kind with seasonings, you don't need to add the spices below.)
1 package frozen spinach (Fresh would be better, but frozen is what I had.)
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
A sprinkle of salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, basil, parsley, dried onion
8 oz. uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta

Cook pasta according to package directions. Slice chicken sausage into rounds and lightly brown in a saute pan. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes. Thaw spinach and broccoli in microwave according to package directions. Add both to sausage mixture. Heat thoroughly. Combine with cooked pasta in a large casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes six servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment