Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Minor meltdown

I don't know what happened. I started the day off so well. When I posted this morning, I was feeling good about myself and the progress I've been making. I enjoyed a slight splurge this afternoon when I ate a cookie and a few Hershey's chocolate kisses. But that shouldn't have been a big deal. Nothing I couldn't burn off by walking a few miles.

When I got home from work, I headed out -- determined to complete three miles. That's my minimum walking distance most days. Shortly after completely the first mile, I was feeling a little light-headed. I figured it would pass, so I kept going. By the time I'd finished three laps around my neighborhood, which equals 1.8 miles, I couldn't go any farther.

I decided to quit and have a snack, thinking that the light-headedness might mean I needed to eat. I had a serving of Kashi crackers dipped in lowfat bruschetta. OK, that wasn't so bad. I certainly could have made worse choices. Feeling better, I headed back outside to finish the three miles. I did it, but it was a struggle.

My legs hurt. My back hurt. Even my head had started to hurt.

When I got done, I was starving ... still. Now, I'm ashamed to admit what I ate, but I'm going to because I think it's important to be honest. I had leftover steak ... about two servings worth. Then, I stuffed myself with about a third of a bag of baked potato chips.

I've seriously been thinking about what might have caused this food meltdown. I haven't really come up with an answer. Maybe the sugar from earlier in the day is the culprit. All I know is that something caused my to want to just eat and eat and eat. I'm feeling a little more relaxed about it now, but the night's not over. I can't be sure I want eat something else.

All that said, I'm going to try not to be too hard on myself. Obviously, I should look on the bright side ... I did walk three miles today and I could have eaten much worse. If I was going to binge, Kashi crackers, steak and baked chips were probably a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment