Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Feeling just peachy

I ate a fresh peach for the first time in years. I seriously I can't remember the last time I ate a fresh peach. Maybe not since I was a kid. And I can't tell how delicious it was. So juicy and sweet. That got me to thinking about how different my eating habits really are now.

Two years ago, I hardly ever ate fruit of any sort. I did better with vegetables, but I'd say my diet mainly consisted of pasta, rice, meat, cheese and sugary/starchy snacks. Now, I eat more fruits and vegetables every day than anything else.

It's even weird how I came to eat the peach. A co-worker wanted to go get coffee this morning. We do this from time to time ... usually heading to the Harris Teeter at Longleaf Mall because it has a Starbucks but we can also grab something for lunch. I often make a salad, but it was a little early for lunch today. For some reason, the peaches just jumped out at me. I didn't eat it until after lunch, but it felt like a real treat.

It's important for me to find foods that satisfy me, especially when I'm craving something sweet. I'm trying really hard to cutback on sugar, but it's not easy. I devoured about 20 dark chocolate-covered almonds last night. In fact, I've had weird cravings lately -- mostly I want things like ice cream and carrot cake. No big surprise. Obviously, I'm craving sugar.

I'm not giving up sugar completely because I just don't see that happening. But I am doing well. Speaking of doing well, my pre-weigh-in today was pretty good again. I weighed what I weighed on Friday. Given that I've slipped a few times this week in my eating habits, I think that's good. Of course, though, I'm really hoping that I've lost something by Friday. I just need to keep it together through tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment