Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fessing up

This week's weigh-in probably isn't going to go well. Today is my birthday and I rationalized several splurges because of it. They included pizza, chocolate, bang bang shrimp, salmon in a butter sauce and two blueberry martinis. All were worth it. I have a tinge of guilt, but mostly I feel happy about how my birthday turned out.

The day started with lots of birthday wishes from friends far and near and ended with a lovely dinner with a friend. The blueberry martinis at Bonefish Grill are now my second favorite fruity drink. (My first favorite is the lychee martini at Indochine.)

Anyway, today's splurges coupled with the wine and beer from two parties this past weekend will probably have a negative effect on the scale. But I think that's OK. I've walked more than 15 miles this week and I've eaten well otherwise.

Life is about balance. And I finally feel like I'm achieving that again. It's OK to celebrate on my birthday. I just can't do it every day. I also want to be honest with myself about what I'm eating and drinking and why. For example, the pizza at lunch was more about using food as comfort because it was my birthday. That was a poor choice. The martinis were about celebrating my birthday and having fun on my birthday. That was a good choice.

As I move forward, I know that if I'm going to achieve my goals, I have to deal with the emotional connection I have to food. I don't really know how to do that, but I'll keep trying. And it's been a good birthday, so that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment